This weeks Speshal Dares challenge has been in conjuction with the Daring Cardmakers weekly challenge and the theme was to create a scrapbook page that was a card (or a card that was a scrapbook page, depending on your point of view!) on the theme of Love. This week the entries are especially lush and you really should check out both the blogs to see what everyone else came up with!

As we don’t ‘do’ Valentine’s Day in our house, this really had me stumped, until I decided to create something for the girls to give to Daddy on his birthday in March. I decided to use this empty packaging I had found in a recent stash tidying session (it originally contained scented drawer liners) . I love the colour and texture of the corrugated card and the fact that it has a pocket on the inside.


Products used:

Left over corrugated card packaging
Hambly Studios transparency
Urban Lily Urban Girl collection patterned papers
Chatterbox Powder Room collection patterned paper (rosey paisley)
Paper Adventures cardstock, (colour Weathered Barn)
Scraps of cream and kraft coloured cardstock
7 Gypsies File tab, card word ‘always’
Chip Chatter chipboard word ‘love’
Making Memories printed tags, alphabet stamps, paint
Doodlebug alphabet stickers
Heidi Swapp chipboard alphabet, chipboard heart,crystal flowers
Limited Edition/Art Warehouse clear stamps
Old children’s flash cards from the toy room!
Stazon and Colorbox inks
Flowers, brads, ribbons

Techniques:

Firstly, I used red and gold paint swiped around all the edges to provide some definition.

The packaging had a small cut out square in the front which I backed with the paisley patterned paper to create a feature on the left hand of the inside section. I cut out a square from the cardstock slightly larger than the cut out to create a frame. All the papers and cardstock were either torn, sanded or inked. I had a bit of a magpie moment and found these very old flash cards. I cut down the words ‘we’ and ‘you’ and shaped and inked to create little tags. For the larger tags I just cut and shaped some cream smooth card, adding in my own reinforcements at the top by using a small circle punch and then a hole punch. When it came to the ‘Daddy’ chipboard word I had to improvise as I only had one ‘D’ so I used a couple of ‘p’s’ upside down instead. The bottom section has been left blank ready for the girls to write their own message in for Daddy.

The front is just lots of layering, sanding and inking. The transparency is stuck down using the brads that attach some of the other elements and a couple of staples at the top and bottom.

The raffie ties were originally purple and cream so I swiped the purple ones with black Stazon to tone in with the rest of the project.

5 comments:

Gillian said...

Hi Suzanne,
Oh I love your card... it's soooo beautiful, and I'm sure your children will love to give it to their daddy..It's a real treasure.

hey did you notice we used the same spotty paper ;o)

Lythan said...

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Can't beleive it started out as "rubbish". And I wonder if buying new flash cards is cheaper than the 7gypsies ones? Hmm I must get me to an ELC...

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous work Suzanne.:D I don't often look at the Speshal Dares but I might now you're there.
D x

Lynne said...

I love this Suzanne, it's beautiful.

Rhi said...

Gorgeous Suzanne, I love the rustic-ness of it, so pretty.